Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

TURBO SHUT OFF SWITCH

15K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Scherf 
#1 ·
HEY GUYS, NEW TO THE DIESELS BUT LEARNING QUICK. I HAVE A 2003 6.0 F-250SD LARIAT AND IM CURIOUS ABOUT THE SWITCH THE PREVIOUS OWNER INSTALLED. ITS A TURBO SHUT OFF SWITCH. TRUCKS REALLY LOUD SO HE USED IT TO WARM IT UP. MY QUESTION IS WILL THAT CAUSE ANY ISSUES WARMING THE TRUCK UP IN 5 DEGREE WEATHER IN MICHIGAN WITH THE TURBO OFF? OR IS THAT HELPING IT? STOCK TURBO STOCK INTAKE SCT TUNE STUDS, DELETE, ECT

#2 ·
I thought this was going a whole different direction at first. So since it's a 03 it tends to whistle pretty good. Sounds like the switch disables the vgt and opens up the vanes so it doesn't whistle so bad. My guess is it won't affect anything. Might take a few more minutes to warm up but not too bad.
Maybe @Zmann can confirm.

#5 ·
you sure it's not smoke switch? used to kill the turbo vanes from opening
when they should be

I agree it shouldn't hurt anything using it to warm up but i would see if it really helps with noise

the vanes shouldn't be open at idle anyway IMO

#6 ·
I was thinking smoke switch also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Most likely the previous owner liked rollin da coal....flip the switch, vanes open up, no boost means nothing but black smoke when you touch the go pedal. Good way to kill the truck, and shame a person by those of us that think it's stupidity.

However, being an 03, that whistle at idle could be incredibly annoying, especially if he lived in a tight subdivision. Having that switch would quieten it down tremendously while warming up. I had planned on doing this with mine at one point. I have vanes open at idle written into my tune, but on cold days when it kicks up to high idle, it reverts back to normal and gets noisy.

Won't hurt a thing as long as that's the only reason you use it!

#10 ·
Who wrote your tune, I can’t get Vivian to write vanes open at idle in park for me?

#9 ·
If you have custom tunes, tell whoever you got them from to revise your tunes and write "vanes open at idle" into it. If it's done correctly, anytime you are in park or neutral, they open up and it's just a nice deep rumble.

#12 ·
I have early '04 stock everything except EGR delete and towing tune. I am unfamilier with the "whistle" at idle cold.... Is this more pronounced with CAT and muffler deletes ?? Do you hear this "whistle" under the hood or out of the tail pipe ?? I guess maybe I'm hearing it too but not realizing that that is what it is... All's I hear is the engine going RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE... Diesel rattle rattle... :)

Dan

#13 ·
You won't hear it with the stock exhaust still on the truck. It comes out the exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rcjetsaok
#24 ·
#20 ·
I'm going to 4" exhaust when I CAT delete.. Is no muffler too loud for most neighbors ?? I don''t mind some noise on heavy acceleration but want it kinda nice for normal driving. I do a lot of towing and i don't want the constant heavy moan of exhaust in the cab... Is there like a Flowmaster type muffler for these things ?? I have that on my 7.4L gasser in my 2500 Suburban, It's not too bad on the highway pulling... I definatly don't want the " Neighbor Hater " I read about somewhere else... LMAO though !!! :)

Dan

#25 ·
i had no muffler no cat, and i pissed off everyone in my neighborhood, this is all due to them being 55 and older and my girlfriend and i are the youngest people in it at the ripe age of 25/23..... i have had sooo many noise complaints to the owner of the house (we rent) and to the police...... now with the resonator, i dont get them anymore.....

and if you are not wanting cab drone and still have a amazing sound i really recommend the resonator by FTE... i will probably never try mufflers ever again after seeing what a good resonator can do, not those BS straight flow ones with some fiberglass packings.... the FTE is straight through to an extent.... it has a cork screw in ti along with a straight through center to not cause back pressure while the screw portion aids in drone and turbo dampening, and this is from my understanding of how it works....

#23 ·
Ya hafta oral da coal at dem.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I’ve been considering tossing a muffler on mine...hearing this I might do a resonator instead. I love the straight pipe sound, but gosh damn I guess I’m getting old, because I find myself wanting quieter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Ya I love the resonator so much over a muffler, I bought my truck with a 4” system and it had a muffler, it was good but really quite so I put a 5” straight like a week later, now the cab drone is just old and annoying, so I went with a resonator due to how much people who did put one on loved them.... now that my truck is running again as of yesterday, the whistle is still kinda harsh at idle, but it’s a lot better than the straight pipe and the whistle is light at highway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.