Time to build a monster - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Master BS'er

Re: Time to build a monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post

Does this guy have a budget? Because this build is going to be expensive.
Not really, not as far as I can tell. But he keeps changing his mind about which truck he wants to do it to. Whenever he makes up his mind, I'll take pics of it.

How expensive might we be talking here?

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:19 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Dont forget a built trans. And depending on how big he goes with injectors, it might take big oil, so could be looking into a dual HPOP.

Let's see....$2500-3000 on injectors
$2500 turbo
$1000 full fuel system
$5000 trans
I'm guessing $1500-2000 for heads to be worked
Dual HPOP...I think those are up close to $5000

See why he said it'll get expensive?

Reliability will fall off if he plans to DD this thing. You can't drive a monster 6.0 if you don't know what you are doing. You'll melt it down within a week. And I would imagine getting a big turbo to spool in city traffic would be a nightmare.

Would I be wrong to assume this customer is a kid in his 20's with more money than sense?
Sbluke55 likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

So what became of this monster?

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
Dont forget a built trans. And depending on how big he goes with injectors, it might take big oil, so could be looking into a dual HPOP.

Let's see....$2500-3000 on injectors
$2500 turbo
$1000 full fuel system
$5000 trans
I'm guessing $1500-2000 for heads to be worked
Dual HPOP...I think those are up close to $5000

See why he said it'll get expensive?

Reliability will fall off if he plans to DD this thing. You can't drive a monster 6.0 if you don't know what you are doing. You'll melt it down within a week. And I would imagine getting a big turbo to spool in city traffic would be a nightmare.

Would I be wrong to assume this customer is a kid in his 20's with more money than sense?

Correction - More of his daddy's money than sense.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 7.3L, 4x4, ZF-5, 305k, TS chip, 6637 filter, 4" straight piped duals...

Currently on lookout for axles for 05 swap and superduty seats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
So what became of this monster?
He kept changing his mind about which truck he wanted to do it to. Just Last week he brought in a 99 with a 7.3. Which would have looked sweet when done. But the engine is toast, so the plans change again back to the 6.0.

Honestly I think the guy is full of ####. No doubt he wants to build a monster, but either he doesn't have the dough, or his wife won't let him spend it or something. Personally, I think he's just lonely and wants to talk about trucks, which is fine, but wasting my time is starting to annoy me a Little bit. I've got two of his trucks out behind the shop right now, taking up valuable space.

But, I did put a lift on a 13 Duramax last week. First lift I've ever done. Honestly, I think it looks stupid. But, It's not my truck, what I think is irrelevant.

All you Ford guys: be glad you don't have a Duramax. They are such a pain in the ass to work on, far worse than the 6.4, which is pretty bad but Of all the makes and models, anything with a Duramax is hands down the worst. But I've yet to work on a Ford 6.7, so I'm not sure how difficult those are.

Jamie.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Junkie View Post
Correction - More of his daddy's money than sense.
Correction again, I think it's his wife's money.

Jamie.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
First lift I've ever done
What type of lift?
My wife supports my habit

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for 4" suspension lift
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
What type of lift?
My wife supports my habit
Honestly I can't remember who made it. I don't think I ever even paid attention to the brand. I wanna say superlift? But I don't think that's right. I can't remember how big the wheels were either, but they were big. Almost blew a nut putting them on. It's still out in the lot, I'll take a pic when I get to work and you guys can be the judge, cuz I think it looks dumb.

I will say that as much as I don't like lifting, this kit was well engineered. New knuckles instead of chintzy brackets and all that crap. It's a high quality lift as far as I can tell.

Jamie.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 PM
PSN Veteran

okay cool so a drop bracket lift for the IFS with extended knuckles

Drop bracket lifts are okay, they raise the COG quite a bit (lift frame/drivetrain and body up, only lowering diffs and tires) without really adding any suspension travel but they do make room for longer struts/shocks which can improve the ride if its a good quality lift.

Never install a lift with ball joint extensions! ever!
A body lift is far cheaper and accomplishes much of the same thing = without raising the frame/drivetrain a body lift will allow larger tires with less COG issues, however body lifts also can look stupid :)
They all have their place. I often am asked to install things I think look stupid too, but I support it 100% because its their taste and their ride!

Make sure you check the torque on some of those lift bolts after a few miles...

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for 4" suspension lift
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
okay cool so a drop bracket lift for the IFS with extended knuckles

Drop bracket lifts are okay, they raise the COG quite a bit (lift frame/drivetrain and body up, only lowering diffs and tires) without really adding any suspension travel but they do make room for longer struts/shocks which can improve the ride if its a good quality lift.

Never install a lift with ball joint extensions! ever!
A body lift is far cheaper and accomplishes much of the same thing = without raising the frame/drivetrain a body lift will allow larger tires with less COG issues, however body lifts also can look stupid :)
They all have their place. I often am asked to install things I think look stupid too, but I support it 100% because its their taste and their ride!

Make sure you check the torque on some of those lift bolts after a few miles...
What's an IFS?

Also, ya lost me on body vs brackets. I've seen some lifts that just bolt brackets to the existing parts like knuckles and sway bars to gain the clearances. Then I've seen some that incorporate new parts like bigger knuckles, or control arms. I am not familiar with a body lift.

Hears the truck. Makes the two post look tiny doesn't it? I don't dig it at all, but I know that lots of people do.

Oh yeah, the lift was from Fabtech.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0285.jpg (19.6 KB, 11 views)

Jamie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode