2Likes
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Aluminum Radiator Review

I won't post the link to where I bought this because it's in direct competition to to some sponsors, but felt like reviewing this for those who may be considering making the switch, but don't want to pay the high price of a Mishimoto.

Shipped through UPS, so typical shipping time and handling. Single layer cardboard box with plastic straps holding it together snugly, but not so tight they crushed the box. When I opened it up, I found damaged packing material, but it did its job....no damage to the radiator. I do, however, think they should have used more foam than they did.

The radiator was wrapped and sealed in a heavy duty plastic bag. The bag itself was fairly difficult to tear, but the seal was not....don't think their machine was hot enough. This means that at some point, the seal came un-done and some of the foam got inside the bag. This worried me, until I saw that they had put plugs in all the holes, so the foam didn't have a path to anywhere it could do damage.

Overall construction was really good. I inspected it thoroughly and it was pretty good manufacturing. All of the welds looked like they were either from a machine or done by a skilled hand. I've seen some good welds, and these were quality...for the most part. The only spot that did not seem up to the standards the outside welds had set was an area by the outlet, on the inside of the radiator. Looks like where the curve mated to the flat there may have been a gap, and some of the weld protruded. However, it's not like it's in any danger of coming loose. That little bit of slop is SOLID. Fins were sturdy, not too thin, not too thick. Basically, overall, this seems like a stout unit that will hold up.

The only part I could find that was damaged/flawed severely was something which must have happened in the factory and got passed through QC. It's a scratch that's basically superficial.

There are some downfalls, though. It's definitely not a direct fit replacement. For example, there are some rubber gaskets between the radiator and the intercooler on the stock radiator. These fit over an edge which sticks out from the face of the stock radiator. This aftermarket radiator does not have those edges which leaves a gap between the rad and intercooler.

To fix this, I put in some 3/4" tubing which is held snugly in place once the radiator is bolted in place.
Also, it doesn't quite fit well against the fan shroud, but it's not too bad.

Also, because the top is not rounded like the stock unit, the shroud butts up against it and you can't bolt the shroud to the radiator. I wound up trimming about 1/2" off the top of the shroud.....still needs some more trimming to fit just right, but it's on at least.

One thing I did not get pictures of, and I apologize for that, are the transmission line fittings. The stock adapters which screw into the radiator were actually too long....or rather, the holes into which the adapters go were too short. There was about 1 full thread sticking out of the radiator. However, with locktite and a snug fit (NOT tight), it all went in no problem with not even a drop of tranny fluid leaking.

Overall, considering the low cost ($200), and the fact they did not state this was a drop in replacement (meaning I did not expect things to fit perfectly), I am more than happy with the build quality, how well it fit, easy of installation, and value. I WILL be re-doing the shroud so it fits better, and I will be making a better seal all the way around. Also, I will be getting shorter adapters for the transmission lines. Once I've got a few miles on it, I'll do an update to this thread....and once I've had it for quite a few miles, I'll update again.

Oh, and should you be wondering where I got this and don't know, send me a PM. As I said, I won't be intentionally trying to draw business away from sponsors.
Zmann likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Sponsor

Garage
Re: Aluminum Radiator Review

Very thorough, nice work!

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:21 AM
PSN Local

Nice review. I can say that the price is good, though I'm still thinking of getting a Mishimoto due to its proven quality.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Ok, so it's been installed for almost two months now. Other than an issue with burping all the damn air pockets out, this has been a wonderful radiator. Absolutely no leaks, so the fittings are the right size for the hoses, and even the tranny lines don't leak a drop. The only complaint I have is the top of the radiator gets REALLY hot, but it's aluminum, so that's to be expected. It does have one possible advantage.....it cools almost too well. My transmission temps have dropped 20 degrees when not pulling, and about 10 degrees when I am pulling. Granted, this isn't a bad thing, but it's just kinda shocking it would have this much of an impact. Overall, I'm beyond pleased with this purchase.

2004 Excursion 6.0
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM
PSN Newb

Garage

Would you choose this over the Mishimoto? I have it already in my ebay cart ready to buy just not sure if I want to pay the 800 for it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Having never owned a Mishimoto, I can't compare the two directly. I'm sure the Mishimoto is a superior product. I will say, though, that I can be a cheap sumbitch at times. lol For about $200 shipped if this only lasts me a year, then I paid $17 a month to not pour two gallons of coolant in....so it still saved me money. lol However, I really don't think this is going to fail anytime soon. I researched it well, and people are giving it good reviews. If the money is no worry, go for the superior Mishimoto. If money is tight, but you still want quality, get this and start saving money until you can pay for the Mishimoto and not feel bad about forking out $800.

2004 Excursion 6.0
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Ok, for those who have been following this, I finally have a complaint. Really, it's something I should have thought about when I installed it, but I guess it just slipped my mind. The drain plug is just that...a plug. I needed to drain my coolant the other day so I could fix some oil cooler seals. I immediately regretted not installing some sort of valve in place of the plug. I figured I would back it out a little until it started to leak, and just let it take its sweet time draining through the threads. I'm backing it out and wiggling it. No leak. Back out some more and wiggle. No leak. Repeat. Repeat. It's starting to feel a little loose in there so I'm starting to get nervous. 1/4 of a turn more and the damn thing comes right out and starts pissing all over the place! I'm now soaked and thoroughly red....both in coolant and embarrassment. lol I managed to get it back in after only a quart or so escaped, but it still sucked. Unfortunately, I didn't have the means to get to the store to buy a valve, and had to reinstall the plug. Next time I have to take it out, though, I'm making sure I have a way to go get one!!
Zmann likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM
Administrator

thanks for the write up !!

your always more than welcome to mention the name of the products

even if they are not sponsors

links to non sponsor items are the only thing we can't approve

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode