5R MODIFIED DIRECT CLUTCH SOLENOID INFO - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
EDP
Empire Diesel Performance

5R MODIFIED DIRECT CLUTCH SOLENOID INFO

We have been getting many questions and concerns involved in the topic, so we decided to give some info that many have been mis lead upon.

Empire Performance Engineering in conjunction with GoGo Diesel/Direct Injection have worked diligently together to deliver a solid solution. To surpass all the current knock offs and issues of previous concerns that have arose.
The 5R110 TorqShift transmission is one of the most robust transmissions ever offered in a medium duty pickup. It does however have a weakness. The 5R110 transmission is controlled through the use of solenoids to turn on and off gears. A gear is commanded by the computer and a solenoid applies fluid directly to that clutch. In stock power applications the stock solenoid is fine. Outside of that range, the factory piece cannot provide enough fluid to the clutch fast enough to get the clutches together in a short enough time. Long term slipping of the clutch leads to failure. Direct clutch is not only used for 5th gear in the transmission, but it is also used when in reverse as well. All solenoids are modified from brand new parts and are then tested in house on a Solx 2000 Solenoid tester.

Many have got there hands on the original GoGo Solenoid and believe that they been able to by pass the source, bench-marked, relabeled and repackaged it turned it around marked it up and re sold it. Many have even gone to the extreme as still labeling it as a GoGo/Empire Part when it has not been modified to the standards we have set. Recently we where overwhelmed with the mass orders and ran out of inventory for a couple weeks and was approached by a customer to have us install his Solenoid that he purchased off line and was under the assumption that he was purchasing a solenoid of the exact same. Needless to say the customer is not very pleased with the information that we where forced to inform him about.

You will notice in the pictures we have provided of the differences along with the facts that many people out there using this tactic to drive sales there way with no knowledge of the actual functionality of the part or solution. Many will take the Ford # on the base of the solenoid and simply think they have the in source and re label for a discounted price when really all they are purchasing is a knocked off part. This has been going on since the first part of March of 2013.

This is not a bash thread or looking to come down on any one shop in particular just pointing that more is done then meets the eye of a part number, and beware on who and what you are buying in the diesel world for Diesel Performance . com shops open up on an hourly basis.

-Main things to notice by the naked eye to be sure you are getting what you pay for is the coating on solenoid.

-Bottom Fluid passages have been modified.

http://empiredieselperformance.com/e...lutch-solenoid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SolenoidComparison1.JPG (422.8 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg SolenoidComparison2.JPG (523.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg SolenoidComparison3.JPG (379.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg SolenoidOrder.jpg (2.35 MB, 214 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In House 3000+hp Engine Dyno Services and testing facility"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
PursuitInterceptor

Re: 5R MODIFIED DIRECT CLUTCH SOLENOID INFO

Great info!! Thanks.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 PM
PSN Local

the one on the right is the updated solenoid? i purchased the gogo diesel solenoid from performance truck products. right now im having hollyrock customs install the solenoid, but they are having issues installing it and getting it to run properly. the mechanic said the 2-3 shift doesnt feel right, and then it will not downshift. ant input on this? this is holding my truck up to get it back after they installed 190 cc injectors. im hoping i didnt get a bogus solenoid.

2006 White XLT Sport Package CC/SB, Powermax, Fire-Ringed Heads, ARP headstuds, Sinister EGR delete, Sinister Coolant Filter, S&B Intake, Silverline Stacks, SCT w/Innovative Tunes, Rebuilt Tranny w/TCS Billet Input Shaft, Go-Go Diesel Solenoid-D
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 AM
Good ol boy

I installed mine and ran perfect right out the gate, tranny shifting was alooooot better with the upgraded solenoid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 AM
PSN Local

envious. i just want my truck back.

2006 White XLT Sport Package CC/SB, Powermax, Fire-Ringed Heads, ARP headstuds, Sinister EGR delete, Sinister Coolant Filter, S&B Intake, Silverline Stacks, SCT w/Innovative Tunes, Rebuilt Tranny w/TCS Billet Input Shaft, Go-Go Diesel Solenoid-D
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
PSN Local

Mine ran fine after i changed both the DD and the 3-5 Reverse. I can see how they could've exchanged the wrong one though, or didn't get it seated correctly.

Denny

2005 CC SB 147K
MTW MaDmAx 66mm VGT
Warren Diesel 175/75's & Jess' Race Tune
VXCF9CA TQCI1NB
SCT A101706100004F6C
VIN FTSW21P65EB08535
ARP's - MBRP T-Back Kitty Del.
ICON 6.5"
Mickey T's ATZ P3 37's
METHOD Racing Wheels 20x
SG II
Bltprf EGR Del. & Ext. Filter
ELC & Sin. Coolant Filter
AMP Steps & ARE Cover W/ Bed Slide
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood10 View Post
the one on the right is the updated solenoid? i purchased the gogo diesel solenoid from performance truck products. right now im having hollyrock customs install the solenoid, but they are having issues installing it and getting it to run properly. the mechanic said the 2-3 shift doesnt feel right, and then it will not downshift. ant input on this? this is holding my truck up to get it back after they installed 190 cc injectors. im hoping i didnt get a bogus solenoid.
The gogo/empire direct drive solenoid controls the 3-5 shift not the 2-3.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinzy View Post
Mine ran fine after i changed both the DD and the 3-5 Reverse. I can see how they could've exchanged the wrong one though, or didn't get it seated correctly.

Denny
How did you change both the DD and the 3-5/reverse solenoids? The DD solenoid controls the 3-5 shift and reverse. The DD solenoid is the 3-5 shift....not two separate solenoids. The DD solenoid which controls the 3-5 shift is the middle solenoid in the row of three on the solenoid body.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 PM
PSN Newb

Need a install vid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode