2003 F250 Hard shift out of Second - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2003 F250 Hard shift out of Second

Hi all! First post for me here. I just bought my first Diesel on Saturday and off course it test drove great. 118k Miles with a lot of performance parts and "bullet proofing". Jasper transmission. SCT x4 tuner tuned for Warren Injectors. When shifting out of second the first couple times on the road it hill spike 150 to 250 RPMS quickly and then go into third. The second any consecutive time it is less and less noticeable until it is gone all together for that leg of the trip. Next time I go anywhere, it is back. Any Ideas? Transmission was replaced December 2015. Any help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:20 AM
Kenner, LA

Re: 2003 F250 Hard shift out of Second

if not mistaken its in the tune. I find it also depends on what position accelerator pedal is reading. From what Ive been told its normal and in fact better than stock for it to shift hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F250 7.3/auto
2003 F350 DRW 6.0/auto
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

As always, the first thing to do is to read the codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecustommuffler View Post
if not mistaken its in the tune. I find it also depends on what position accelerator pedal is reading. From what Ive been told its normal and in fact better than stock for it to shift hard.
There is a good chance that it is something wrong with the tune. He said it spikes 150-200 RPM during the shift. That is very, very bad for the transmission. If it keeps doing this the transmission WILL fail. Harder is NOT always better.
Connor Budge likes this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
As always, the first thing to do is to read the codes.
I just read the DTC codes and it came up with nothing. I just find it odd that it goes away after a few cycles through second. It makes me cringe though.. I forgot to mention the tranny was installed in December of of 2015 and there is 18,000 miles on it. Attached is a GIF. It is looped and the spike only happened once but it is looped twice.

Thanks for the quick feedback Gentlemen.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 20170516_162838_1.gif (7.47 MB, 12 views)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Budge View Post
I just read the DTC codes and it came up with nothing.
Chances are that this means that you didn't use the right tool to read the codes.

Quote:
I just find it odd that it goes away after a few cycles through second.
I don't find it odd. I think that means that the PCM is not retaining the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) which means the software has to learn the transmission shift characteristics each time the truck is started. That takes a few of each shift to accomplish. That's why it is bad when you start out, but goes away after a few shifts.

Quote:
It makes me cringe though.
It should make you cringe. If you don't get it fixed it's going to destroy your direct clutch and then you'll need another transmission.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I checked the codes with the SCTFlash unit. I followed all the instructions on the screen, although I do not think the firmware is up to date as it will not connect with WIFI and the website does not have the correct driver for windows 10.

I took it to a local shop that I trust to take a look at it today, I will let yall know what he says.

If it is the PCM not retaining the KAM, is it as easy as a reset or should I purchase anew PCM? Thanks Mark. I appreciate the Community support from yall.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

*** CORRECTION **** It is spiking out of the shift from third to fourth NOT second to third. That is my fault... for some reason I thought it was 2-3.. tired I guess. Does this change anything?

The mechanic says he thinks it is an transmission accumulator spring. Also he said there were no codes as well. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
*** CORRECTION **** It is spiking out of the shift from third to fourth NOT second to third. That is my fault... for some reason I thought it was 2-3.. tired I guess. Does this change anything?
No, not really. The 3-4 can flare if the timing of the shift is wrong.

Quote:
The mechanic says he thinks it is an transmission accumulator spring. Also he said there were no codes as well. Any thoughts?
I have all kinds of thoughts. One that you may (or may not!) want to hear about is that I think it will be amazing if your mechanic can find an accumulator spring in your 5R110W transmission. Why? Because there are no accumulators in the 5R110W transmission, so there are no accumulator springs.

Maybe you should take it to someone that knows what he's doing.

If the KAM is the problem it's often a bad power feed to the KAM circuit of the PCM. And if that is the problem it's going to clear all codes as soon as the key is turned off.

Mark

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
No, not really. The 3-4 can flare if the timing of the shift is wrong.

I have all kinds of thoughts. One that you may (or may not!) want to hear about is that I think it will be amazing if your mechanic can find an accumulator spring in your 5R110W transmission. Why? Because there are no accumulators in the 5R110W transmission, so there are no accumulator springs.
HAHA

Well I appreciate that. I am unfolding more and more and I have time to dive into it. So I believe it is Tuned for the warren injector performance tune. When I look at the current flash it says custom flas then a series of letters/characters/numbers but there are three available Warren tunes on the tuner. As I drove with the datalog on I realized it was the 3-5 shift. (after visiting many other web forums with the "3-5 shift flare"... many of which you are have commented on). It takes .5 to 1.5 seconds to out into reverse. I saw that other folks where upping the back pressure of the 3-5 5 to 10%. Is this just a band-aid or will it eliminate the learning curve of the adaptive learning of the shift? I put a voltmeter to the wire from the ACC battery terminal the PCM and it reads 12.79 to 12.8.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The trans does shift 3-5. But many people call it the 3-4.

I don't know what backpressure is for a shift. I've never heard of it. And I developed the factory tunes on the 2005 5R110W diesel F-Series. So I don't know what to tell you about that.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode