Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 no start, new injectors

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  2003stock450km 
#1 ·
What's up y'all. So my brother bought a 2004 6.0 (against me advising him not to) about a year ago. the truck has been basically trouble free because the guy who had it before him had it deleted and had new head studs put in with new head gaskets, and the only reason he was selling it was to trade up. now comes the problems, recently his truck had a lot of trouble starting and became an even more gutless POS. so we did a general service on it and changed all the fluids and filters, along with reman injectors from injectorsdirect.com, and glow plugs. So today while pulling 1 cow to the vet clinic (not anywhere near too much weight to pull) he took a corner and then all the sudden the engine started knocking real loud and the rpm's dropped and white smoke was coming out the exhaust. We now believe the motor is hydro-locked because it wont turn over even after sitting with some cables on it for 15 minutes. we pulled the codes and they were all injector failure in cylinder numbers 1,4,5,8. I know it's not unheard of getting a bad reman injector but 4 all at once? seems a little fishy to me. so now im kind of thinking a FICM problem, or maybe and IPR/HPOP issue. any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. i am by no means a mechanic, but I know enough to avoid the mechanic shop most of the time.

#2 ·
Poor decision to go with those injectors IMO. At least one is dumping fuel. It is not that unusual to get a bad 6.0L injector or two from a cheap supplier. That said, are you sure everything was done correctly on installation? Don't blame the truck for this when dumping fuel into the cylinder is either an injector problem or the installation.

Remove glow plugs and turn by hand if you can to see which glow plug hole the fuel comes out of.

What torque value did you use for the injector hold-downs. Is your torque wrench calibrated? Did you get all of the old copper washers out?

#3 ·
i second remove glow plugs all, and instead of turn over by hand have wife stand infront of truck with eyeprotection and crank there will be a huge amount of fuel discharge from motor out glow plug holes, she just needs to tell ya what holes sprayed the fuel,
i did works great to see what cyl was hydrolocked
after that remove injector and replace oring reinstall if does same again its injector fault but most times its oring fault, make sure when putting them in you take your time as they are easy to f*** up.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. We are really busy with planting right now so it might be a week or so until we get to it. But if this rain keeps up we may have plenty of time haha. you guys have been great help troubleshooting, it has occurred to us that we may not have lubed the injectors before putting them in (stupid a** mistake I know). As soon as we get to it we will pull the glow plugs and watch for fuel then pull the injectors again, and buy new o-rings to replace the ones we most likely f*ckered up. I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks again.

#5 ·
If you really believe you didn't lube them, then pull them and re-ring them as soon as you have time. I wouldn't mess with pulling glow plugs, that's just more work (and money when the harness breaks). Even if they haven't failed, I would hate to have something in there that will fail (and probably at the worst possible time).

#6 ·
yea if the rest of the orings arent seated great likely to fail soon,they are cheap change them all,tip 1 before put to much together put 12v power& key on but no start to check if all good fuel will stay in bowl and not drain away tip 2 when i did my injectors i soaked the orings in (rottella synth) fresh motor oil for truck overnight makes the fit a little more snug on the injector. not sure if its shrinking or stretching them

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.