2006 f250 6.0 oil cooler replacement questions and help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage
Exclamation 2006 f250 6.0 oil cooler replacement questions and help

Hi I'm Mary. A self proclaimed diesel mechanic on my own truck lol. I had a few coolant leaks for a few months and when I got them fixed my oil cooler clogged. I'm assuming the increased coolant pressure blew everything that was sitting in the coolant system straight into my oil cooler.
Last month my deltas were far apart and the wrench light came on. I replaced the oil cooler with a doorman oil cooler. Three days later my bullet proof diesel coolant filter arrived but it was too late, my oil cooler had clogged again!
I run scangauge 2 for the 6.0 and I have driven the truck for 4 weeks to try and filter out coolant junk before new oil cooler replacement. My temps have maxed at EOT- 224 and ECT-206 never above, no degas puking. When I replaced the oil cooler I didn't line up the turbo properly and have an exhaust leak. (This time I will line the pipes up properly though).
During these four weeks of driving I have smelled oil all inside the cab.
*forward to current time
I have everything I need to rebuild that oil cooler I have a doorman replacement with Oem oil cooler gasket and OEM oil cooler screen from Ford dealership. (I'd like to think I'm masterminding this crappy doorman and it will be okay with the Ford parts. Turbo gasket kit, new Ford thermostat, new Advanced auto parts intake manifold gasket, new Oil temp sensor, new Oil temp sensor pigtail. I also replaced my vgt turbo pigtail last time. I also have a new Wix filter for the coolant filtration system.
I did 10 hours of flushing yesterday 1st one was the VC9 and subsequent ones were pure distilled water. I started back with the flushes this morning because water was still not clear my trucks is a dirty girl inside lol.
1) This morning I filled her with distilled water and went on a twenty min drive with heater up ECT-reached 206 EOT- 207 when I pulled the degas cap off the water actually boiled out IS THIS NORMAL? (First time that has ever happened)
2)is it normal to smell oil in the cab with an exhaust leak?
3)I've been looking at my flush water to try and determine if there is oil in the coolant. I have a GAL of simple green but Lord knows I don't want to flush again if I don't have to. I don't see any gunk,black or milkshake. What I do see is what looks like a clear oily swirl in the coolant but no indication that there are chemicals separating in the coolant. I can't find any oil/coolant mix pics that represent what I see. (I am a bit over protective) DOES this mean that there is not oil in the coolant and I can proceed with the repairs after water runs clear instead of a simple green flush.

-it's a possibility I did not torque intake manifold bolts to proper spec, would this cause an oil smell? I have no loss of oil.
I think my signature says it all but if not:
2006 f250 6.0 Lariat lifted with 37's, EGR delete, coolant filter, blue spring upgrade, new alternator, new batteries,rap headstuds, scanguage 2 programmed for the 6.0

If you all don't mind I'd like to use this thread throughout this particular repair for help and questions. Thanks thumbs up to all the chicks and single moms not afraid to ride high and work on thier diesel.

Pics of coolant flush posted below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0869.jpg (5.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0870.jpg (8.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0855.jpg (7.3 KB, 28 views)

F250 6.0 8" lift 37 inch tires, EGR delete, blue spring upgrade, upgraded radiator, sinister diesel coolant filter, ARP headstuds, rebuilt suspension system. she is my Big Baby and I love her...and want to keep her running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Re: 2006 f250 6.0 oil cooler replacement questions and help

First off
a few notes

Dorman has a higher EOT than OEM and is not known for being anywhere near OEM quality

I really really suggest a Bulletproof oil cooler relocation and an OEM cooler
https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/product_p/vk688.htm

second you mention Bulletproof coolant filter but since they don't sell one I imagine it is the Sinister brand that's in your signature ?

rest easy that the filter would have never saved your new oil cooler from clogging
and the leaks you fixed did not force existing debris through the cooler

you may be able to do a revers flush to get some of the debris back out of the cooler

and drop deltas but i would just assume you get the Dorman out and see if you can get your $ back

your post is long and i only touched on a few items

I will revisit this in a it

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Administrator

what flush procedure are you using and does it ever include using the garden hose and
tap water or are you only using distilled

( sorry if i missed this )

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage
Yes, sinister diesel. Wow I never thought of the Doorman having a higher EOT.
I'm going to check your sinister diesel link now.

Should I be letting the engine cool down before refilling with distilled for more flushes?
While flushing EOT-207 ECT-202
Is that hot enough to crack the head by adding room temp water on a hot engine? I've done 12 flushes so far, water still looks like tea
post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage
I Believe I forgot to include that information.
2 quarts of VC9
Fill with distilled water to correct fill line on the degas.
1 hour drive time and heater to high with VC9 in system.
Each flush uses only distilled water, heater turned to high 20-25 mins run time mostly driving during those 20-25 min flushes to speed up circulation.
I was afraid of over pressurizing the system with the hose, I also have hard water
post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage

I bought an OEM filter and screen from Ford and was going to put it in the Doorman to bring up the quality a bit. I understand it's never going to be OEM quality 😕
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage

I apologize to everyone for that grammatically difficult to read first post. I was using voice to text!
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage
Question Re: 2006 f250 6.0 oil cooler replacement questions and help

It's day three and I'm still flushing with distilled! Here are some pics of what I'm seeing. Any suggestions of extra steps I need to take? The sand and iron deposits only drain out every single time I pull the bottom rad hose but not when I drain the rad petcock as soon as I figure out how to upload them again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0877.jpg (17.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0878.jpg (15.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0880.jpg (24.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0881.jpg (15.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0882.jpg (15.1 KB, 31 views)
post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM

I would use a garden hose to do the majority of the flushes and then switch to distilled water for the last few. That will help flush everything out and will help on the pocket book.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
F250 6.0 12" lift/37"

Garage

1)When using a garden hose do I have to worry about over pressurizing he system and maybe busting some seals from the force of the water coming out of the hose?
2)I have hard water is that okay in an already dirty system?
3)What keeps making the water brown/yellow?
Is the grit and sand from the bottom rad hose normal?
4) Can I ever get it all out? Can I just continue with the oil cooler replacement even though water is light yellow?

F250 6.0 8" lift 37 inch tires, EGR delete, blue spring upgrade, upgraded radiator, sinister diesel coolant filter, ARP headstuds, rebuilt suspension system. she is my Big Baby and I love her...and want to keep her running

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode