Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 or 6.7

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cfherrman 
#1 ·
Figured I'm new here I might as well start with a $hitstorm. I'm looking to improve my current towing capacity (2009 Ram 1500). Finances dictate a used truck, but I'm trying to decide what I should be looking for. I've seen some of the opinions about Powerstrokehelp, but he did point me in the direction of an '05-'07 6.0. I've started seeing some 6.7's that would work but they're '11's with ~150k miles on them.

It looks like I've got a good shop fairly local, Holderdown, and I already got a figure of $4,200 to bulletproof a 6.0...$4,500 with the Bulletproof EGR cooler. In the long run, would that be the way to go or a higher mileage 6.7?

Would be looking to tow a good sized camper and, of course, throw a tune in there to bump the power at some point.

#2 ·
The 6.0 is like your old lady, picky and high mantaince, but treat her right she runs great and for a long time.

The 6.7 i hear after 12 is really excellent, i know many people that ran them to 150k with 0 proplems and got a new one.

Going in cold the 6.7 is better, a 6.0 with know history or warrenty on bulletproof is a good choice, a 6.0 that has not been taken care will cost you

#3 ·
if that 11 breaks it can break your bank

now the 6.0 ,, while mine has been flawless after bulletproofing except for 1 oil cooler is still affordable to fix and any repair is a DIY for the average guy

but the creature comforts available in the 6.7 are way nicer and the only reason I would switch

#5 ·
I was recently in this same boat a few months back, I researched and read all that I could for a couple months before that (threads on forums, craigslist adds, etc.). I ended up finding a great 06' 350 with low miles and had it "Bulletproofed". I decided that the calculated repaires of the known issues of the 6.0 was a better choice then the developing issues/repairs of the 6.7. just my O2C.

#7 ·
Yeah I watched that ps help video too. Did you catch the fact that he owns a 6.4 himself? The guy has a vested interest in getting people into the 6.0 because that's where he makes his $$ in bulletproofing. Just my 2 cents. And yes I own a 6.4. Deleted and very happy w it.

#9 ·
He's right tho the 6.4 is becoming the new "problem child "

taking the heat off the 6.0

IMO because when it goes south it can be catastrophic the 6.0 repairs can be handled with a title loan not a second Mortgage LOL

I still would be torn if I had to choose between a 6.7 and a 6.4 i think i would just make the extra payments and get a new6.7 with ext warranty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.