Changing Glow Plugs? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Changing Glow Plugs?

I was wondering how hard it is to change glow plugs on a 6.0? I just bought 8 new International ones and want to get them installed when I have the time. Anyone know? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
PSN's Most Hated

Re: Changing Glow Plugs?

Take off your Valve Covers, when you install get new valve gaskets as well.

Real Trucks Burn Diesel
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I heard that you can do it by pulling off the rail thing that goes to each glow plug and fish them out with the magnet. Is it easier to just take off the valve cover?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
PSN's Most Hated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03-blue-Powerstroke View Post
I heard that you can do it by pulling off the rail thing that goes to each glow plug and fish them out with the magnet. Is it easier to just take off the valve cover?
Yea, because you gotta replace the valve gaskets.

Real Trucks Burn Diesel
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
lets roll

No offense king diesel but 6.0 valve cover gaskets are reusable and you dont need to remove them on a 6.0. Just remove the glow plug harness (external below the valve covers) and use a socket and magnet to get the plugs out. Its really quite easy but alot of the time you wreck the glow plug harness as it has become brittle from age and heat.
Might no be a bad idea to have new ones on hand if you can return them incase you wreck them.

2000 f-250, dp f-5, ddp 120hp single shots, mbrp turbo back, itp boost fooler, itp pre-pump kit, banks billet torque converter, coolingmist cmgs
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
PSN's Most Hated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstroke View Post
No offense king diesel but 6.0 valve cover gaskets are reusable and you dont need to remove them on a 6.0. Just remove the glow plug harness (external below the valve covers) and use a socket and magnet to get the plugs out. Its really quite easy but alot of the time you wreck the glow plug harness as it has become brittle from age and heat.
Might no be a bad idea to have new ones on hand if you can return them incase you wreck them.
thanks man, I learn something everyday. I gotta remember that next time, I guess I am use to the 7.3L etc

Real Trucks Burn Diesel
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiesel View Post
thanks man, I learn something everyday. I gotta remember that next time, I guess I am use to the 7.3L etc

Ummm you also reuse the ones on a 7.3 also

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

Dynoed 520hp and 926tq on 5/23/09

Dynoed 516 hp and 1121 tq on 4/24/10
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 AM
PSN Newb

A little late to the game here, but wanting some more information, if someone would be so kind?

I own a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L Powerstroke and I'm reading conflicting things when searching both here and on the internet. Am I correct in understanding that very early 6.0L Powerstrokes used a bussbar that needed to be removed, but at the end of 2003, they started using a new harness?

I am rather new to performing this sort of work, but I am patient and it is not my daily driver, so I can take my time. Does anyone know where I could find a photograph of either side of the engine and indicate what I am looking for? I've found photographs of the bussbar, but again suspect that was on the very first 6.0L Powerstrokes. (I could very easily be mistaken!) Also, the photographs were of a yanked engine with almost no accessories installed, so it did not give me a good idea of what and where I should be looking for.

Any advice, I'd appreciate it! I'm needing to plug it in at anything colder than 10C (50F) otherwise it starts so rough it feels like the entire vehicle will rattle itself apart. Plugging it in, it's starting smooth as glass down to -5C (23F) so far. But I dread it when the weather gets colder...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Diesel Technician Society

Try this it has all the model years, It does look like the first 6.0s have a bus bar.

04 F250 4x4, 2.5 front level kit, 4" MBRP, Banks Inter cooler, Home made coolant filter, Insight monitor, Nathan K5l horns, ten gal air tank, harpooned, Fumuto valve, custom stripes and decals.
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone6.0 View Post
Diesel Technician Society

Try this it has all the model years, It does look like the first 6.0s have a bus bar.
Thank you! I'm still searching, but this looks to be a great resource! Now to see if I can figure out how to get the new wiring harness off of each plug, and to do it without tearing my hands and arms apart in the process. :)
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode